Innovating the Medication Industry

What is familial hypercholesterolemia?

Our genetics play a major role in our lives, as they can effect us in all aspects from our physical to emotional to mental health! Every family has a unique background pertaining to their health problems and so on. Health related issues are very common to be passed down from generation to generation. A common disorder that can get passed down to your children is familial hypercholesterolemia.

What is Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH)?

Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) is a inherited disorder that leads to aggressive and premature cardiovascular disease. This can cause issues like heart attack, stroke, and even narrowing of the heart valves. Individuals with FH do not carry on this disorder from poor diet or personal lifestyle choices, they develop this disorder through genetic mutations that make the liver incapable of removing excess LDL. This, in turn, causes high levels of LDL which can lead to cardiovascular diseases.

Your cholesterol levels are higher than normal because individuals with FH are unable to recycle a natural supply of cholesterol that your body is constantly producing. There are 2 different forms of FH. If you inherit this from one parent you then you would have what is called Heterozygous (HeFH) which effects 1 in 250 people worldwide. The other form is HoFh (Homozygous) which is when you inherit this mutation from both parents, which is extremely rare. This occurs in about 1 in 160,000 to a million people.

Risks that come with FH

If a women is carrying a child, the baby in the womb is already effected by FH. Since FH starts prior to birth, the risk for heart attack is 20 times more likely to occur than in others not born with this inherit disorder. Other risk factors include smoking, being over-weight, and high blood pressure. If you have FH it would be a good idea to quit smoking, acquire a better diet, and lead an active lifestyle. Together with medical therapy and a healthy diet, you can lower your risk of early heart attack.

FH Facts To Know

Did you know that almost 2 million people in the U.S. have FH and do not even know it? Here are some helpful facts to know about familial hypercholesterolemia:

• Over 90% of people with FH have not been properly diagnosed
  • If one parent has FH, there is a 50/50 chance each child will develop it
  • An estimated 1.3 million people in the U.S. alone have FH
  • If left untreated, men have a 50% rise in having a heart attack by age 50, while women have a 30% risk over the age of 60

12 Comments

1. zvodret iluret on September 28, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Good V I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related info ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task..

2. minecraft on October 4, 2018 at 11:56 pm

Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would
    really make my blog shine. Please let me know
    where you got your design. Bless you

3. minecraft on October 5, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Hi there, all is going fine here and ofcourse every
    one is sharing data, that’s actually excellent, keep up writing.

4. minecraft on October 6, 2018 at 4:56 pm

I really love your website.. Great colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself?
    Please reply back as I’m hoping to create my very own website and would love to find out where you
    got this from or what the theme is named. Many thanks!

5. minecraft on October 7, 2018 at 10:57 am

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter
    to be really something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will
    try to get the hang of it!

6. minecraft on October 7, 2018 at 11:09 pm

wonderful issues altogether, you just won a new reader.
    What may you suggest in regards to your post that you just made a few days ago?

Any positive?

7. minecraft free download 2018 on October 8, 2018 at 10:15 am

Right now it sounds like WordPress is the best blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your
    blog?

8. minecraft free download 2018 on October 9, 2018 at 8:17 pm

That is a great tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Short but very accurate info… Many thanks for
    sharing this one. A must read article!

9. minecraft free download 2018 on October 9, 2018 at 8:50 pm

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

10. minecraft free download 2018 on October 10, 2018 at 4:16 am

Thanks for one’s marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you may
    be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back later in life.
    I want to encourage that you continue your great job, have a nice evening!

11. minecraft free download 2018 on October 10, 2018 at 4:54 am

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I should check things out.

I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to checking
    out your web page repeatedly.

12. minecraft free download 2018 on October 10, 2018 at 8:46 am

Have you ever considered creating an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you
    discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would enjoy your work.
    If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.